Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Eloisa Hernandez, Cuban Interpreter, On Her Work and People-to-People Groups/Eloisa Hernández, Intérprete Cubana, Sobre Su Trabajo y los Grupos Pueblo-a-Pueblo

Eloisa Hernandez is an interpreter with many years of experience who has worked with People to People delegations from Witness for Peace and the Martin Luther King Jr. Center.  Eloisa was born in Caimanera, Guantanamo. The U.S. Guantanamo naval base, now infamous for being a detention center for terrorist suspects, has been located next to the small town of Caimanera since the Platt Amendment in 1903.  Since 1959 Cuba has rejected U.S. presence in Guantanamo as illegitimate. Eloisa recently sat down for a conversation with Witness for Peace about her work with People to People groups. 

How did you become an interpreter?

There are things in our lives as human beings that just are the way they are. You can’t look for the reason why. My mother didn’t finish her studies…but she would always go for it….My mom spoke English very well. She liked to smoke Camel cigarettes and in the afternoons she would sit and talk and be with the wives of those men [serving at the U.S. base] who would leave their spouses in the small apartments where they would live and she would teach them how to cook because sometimes they were very young. So I was raised, I was brought up with North American citizens who would come and live there. We would have lunch or maybe dinner or we would prepare the eggs for Easter or the turkey for Thanksgiving. I was just a child. This is how I learned my English as a child…

I also studied at a bilingual school in Guantanamo. I’m not sure if it was Baptist…I don’t remember. All I remember is that there was a cross and I remember the priest and his white collar….I studied 5th and 6th grade in that school but after that as you know the revolution triumphed in 1959 and education was nationalized in 1961 or 1962…I never had good marks. I was not a very good student. I didn’t like exams like I don’t like interviews. I’m better off when I’m myself. And it’s not easy to talk about yourself. Why did I become an interpreter? I always wanted to be an interpreter. Maybe I didn’t know the meaning or significance of being an interpreter, but the truth of the matter is that I’m a bilingual person. Because I learned English when I was very small and it becomes your native language like Spanish. I have worked with many, many groups…

But for me I don’t feel that I’m an interpreter. I’m just with people. The same people I was with when I was a child. I hardly realize when I’m translating a very serious conference, a lecture by a Cuban scholar or a lecture by a prominent personality who visits our country. I just enjoy what I do and feel like I’m having a conversation. It hasn’t been that way throughout my life. I’m 65 now. I have learned to let fear go. When you let go fear and panic and hate, then you can assimilate whatever comes…

Tolerance doesn’t mean that you put aside your ideas and principles. You don’t learn those in college or in a book. You’re born with those things, with those feelings inside you and in the course of your life you just develop them and you become a better person and you try to understand other people and you try to have other people understand you. That is my feeling when I’m with a group, whether it is with Witness for Peace, or a group of people I meet on the street or a foreigner who comes to our island, to Cuba, to visit us. That is how I feel when I’m interpreting.

In my modest opinion if the revolution hadn’t triumphed, since I was born in Caimanera, which is a very, very poor town and if you see the pictures my parents were not rich at all; if our country would have continued under the same regime without the revolution, that has gone through its hardships, through doing things correctly, some things not so correctly for others, I wouldn’t be here today feeling the way that I feel.

Tell me about some of your experiences with “People to People” groups.

I could tell you many, but I believe that the people who come to Cuba especially from the ones I’ve been with lately, I have learned that we all share the same feelings. That we all share the same difficulties. That we all share the same love. And what makes me different from another person is that maybe the person is taller or slimmer, but in essence we’re just the same. We’re just people. As human beings we are pretty much alike. When I see one of the people coming on a Witness for Peace group and I look at a person, I don’t think- “this person has been working with so and so” or “this person is a VIP”, or “this person is just a student who gets a very small allowance.” No. I never think of that. I don’t make that separation. I just see them as people.

 I also think it’s important and beautiful to notice that no matter how many things and lies and slanders have been published and said about our country by the media, which is the one that holds the world in many parts of the world. Despite all that, there are people in the United States of America, North American citizens, who are willing to come to visit this island, Cuba...

They don’t come here because they follow this party or the other party, or because they follow this administration or the other administration…You could ask me why don’t they go to Barbados, which is a beautiful island or to any other island in the Caribbean. Why Cuba? Because Cuba is charming from all points of view. From the political point of view, from the human being point of view, from the person to person point of view. Because Cuba is close, and because there are links and bonds, bonds that no administration can just erase. For me this is one of the reasons why North Americans want to come to Cuba….

I send my love and gratitude to whoever reads this conversation, especially to those who have come and those who will surely come to Cuba.

----

Eloisa Hernández es una intérprete con muchos años de experiencia que ha trabajado con delegaciones “Pueblo a Pueblo” de Acción Permanente por la Paz y el Centro Martin Luther King Jr. Eloisa nació en Caimanera, Guantánamo. La base estadounidense de Guantánamo, ya famosa por ser un centro de detención para sospechosos de terrorismo, se ha situado al lado del pequeño pueblo de Caimanera desde la Enmienda de Platt en 1903. Desde 1959 Cuba ha rechazado la presencia estadounidense en Guantánamo por ser ilegitimo. Eloisa recientemente se sentó para una conversación con Acción Permanente por la Paz sobre su trabajo con grupos “Pueblo a Pueblo”.

¿Cómo llegó a ser una intérprete?

Hay cosas en nuestras vidas como seres humanos que simplemente son como son. No se puede buscar la razón por qué. Mi madre no terminó sus estudios...pero ella siempre tomaba la iniciativa...Mi madre hablaba muy bien inglés. Le gustaba fumar cigarrillos Camel y por las tardes se sentaba a hablar y estar con las esposas de esos hombres [que servían en la base de EE.UU.] que dejaban a sus cónyuges en los pequeños apartamentos donde vivían y ella les enseñaba cómo cocinar porque a veces eran muy jóvenes. Así crecí, me crié con los ciudadanos norteamericanos que venían a vivir ahí. Almorzábamos o cenábamos o tal vez preparábamos los huevos para la Pascua o el pavo el día de Acción de Gracias. Yo era sólo una niña. Así es como yo aprendí inglés de niña...

También estudié en una escuela bilingüe en Guantánamo. No estoy segura si era Bautista...no me acuerdo. Todo lo que recuerdo es que había una cruz y recuerdo el sacerdote y su cuello blanco....estudié quinto y sexto grado en esa escuela, pero después de eso como usted sabe la revolución triunfó en 1959 y la educación fue nacionalizada en 1961 o 1962...nunca tuve buenas notas. No era una buena estudiante. No me gustaban los exámenes como no me gustan las entrevistas. Me siento mejor cuando soy yo misma. Y no es fácil hablar de uno mismo.

¿Por qué me hice una intérprete? Siempre quise ser una intérprete. Tal vez no sabía el significado o la importancia de ser una intérprete, pero la verdad del asunto es que soy una persona bilingüe. Porque aprendí inglés cuando yo era muy pequeña y se convierte en su lengua materna como en español. He trabajado con muchos, muchos grupo...

Pero para mí no siento que soy una intérprete. Simplemente estoy con la gente. El mismo tipo de gente que cuando era una niña. Apenas me doy cuenta cuando estoy traduciendo una conferencia muy importante, una conferencia de un catedrático cubano o una conferencia a cargo de una personalidad destacada que visita nuestro país. Simplemente me gusta lo que hago y me siento como si estuviera teniendo una conversación. No ha sido así durante toda mi vida. Tengo 65 años ahora. He aprendido a dejar ir el miedo. Al soltar el miedo y el pánico y el odio, entonces se puede asimilar a lo que venga...

La tolerancia no significa que se pone a un lado sus ideas y principios. No se aprende eso ni en una universidad o ni en un libro. Uno nace con esas cosas, con esos sentimientos dentro de ti y en el curso de su vida se desarrollan y te conviertes en una persona mejor y tratas de entender a los demás y tratas de que otras personas te entiendan a ti. Esa es mi sensación cuando estoy con un grupo, ya sea con Acción Permanente por la Paz, o un grupo de gente que me encuentro en la calle o un extranjero que viene a nuestra isla, a Cuba, a visitarnos. Así es como me siento cuando estoy interpretando.

En mi humilde opinión, si la revolución no había triunfado, ya que yo nací en Caimanera, que es un muy, muy pobre pueblo y si ves las fotos que mis padres no eran ricos en absoluto, si el país hubiera seguido con el mismo régimen sin la revolución, que ha pasado a través de sus dificultades, a través de hacer las cosas bien, algunas cosas no tan bien para otros, yo no estaría aquí hoy sintiéndome de la manera que me siento.

Hábleme de algunas de sus experiencias con grupos "Pueblo a Pueblo".

Te podría contar muchas, pero creo que la gente que viene a Cuba, especialmente con los que yo he estado últimamente, he aprendido que todos compartimos los mismos sentimientos. Que todos compartimos las mismas dificultades. Que todos compartimos el mismo amor. Y lo que me hace diferente a otra persona es que tal vez la otra persona es más alta o más delgada, pero en esencia somos lo mismo. Sólo somos personas. Como seres humanos somos muy parecidos. Cuando veo a una de las personas que vienen con un grupo de Acción Permanente por la Paz y miro a una persona, no pienso: “esta persona ha estado trabajando con fulano de tal” o “esta persona es VIP”, o “esa persona es sólo un estudiante que recibe una mesada muy baja”. No, nunca pienso en eso. No hago esa separación. Simplemente los veo como personas.

También creo que es importante y hermoso darse cuenta de que no importa cuántas cosas mentiras y calumnias se han publicado y dicho sobre nuestro país por los medios de comunicación, que es lo que sostiene el mundo en muchas partes del planeta. A pesar de todo eso, hay gente en los Estados Unidos, ciudadanos norteamericanos, que están dispuestos a venir a visitar esta isla, Cuba...

No vienen aquí porque siguen este partido o a este otro, o porque siguen a esta administración o a esta otra... Me podrían preguntar ¿por qué no van a Barbados, que es una hermosa isla o  a cualquier otra isla en el Caribe? ¿Por qué Cuba? Porque Cuba es encantadora desde todo punto de vista. Desde el punto de vista político, desde el punto de vista humano, desde el punto de vista de persona a persona. Porque Cuba está cerca, y porque existen vínculos y lazos, lazos que ninguna administración puede simplemente borrar. Para mí, esta es una de las razones por las que los norteamericanos quieren venir a Cuba....

Les envió mi amor y mi agradecimiento a todos aquellos que han venido que seguramente vendrán a Cuba.

No comments:

Post a Comment